|3 Jun 2019 at 10:30 am||7 Jun 2019 at 10:30 am|
|26 Nov 2019 at 10:30 am||30 Nov 2019 at 10:30 am|
Each morning we’ll start with talks, demonstrations and presentations on topics such as contemporary practice, design, wheel trial, kiln using and firing. Plus health and safety, clay types and basic glazing. Student will work on personal projects throughout the week: come along with some ideas or let the professionals inspire you. With a tutor:student ratio of nor more than 8:1 you’ll receive plenty of individual attention and help and advise on achieving your project goals whether that be creating your own tea-set, or creating a ceramic sculpture. Students can work on functional or non-functional designs and glean advice from advanced practicing potters and see inside a working studio.
- wedging and preparation of clay
- handbuilding techniques including pinch/thumb pots, slabbing and coiling. (Plus more advanced techniques for those with some handbuild experience)
- wheel thrown demonstration and approximately 15 minutes one:one
- overview of contemporary practice and handbuild scope
- using press moulds and surface pattern
- an introduction to glazing, kiln loading and firing
- basic glaze preparation and glazing methods
- trouble shooting
- studio health and safety
*Please note that there will be an additional cost to cover glazing and firing. A small pot costs approximately £3. Larger items will vary according to size and weight. Students can select which pieces to fire at the end of the week. Collection will be approximately 4 weeks later.
We also run an intermediate and advanced level course which is designed to work as either a continuing course for beginners or for intermediate
and advanced level students. the second week which includes more wheel thrown practice plus more advanced topics: making a glaze recipe from scratch, glazing techniques and effects, kiln buying, using a programmer, working with porcelain, troubleshooting, health and safety plus more ambitious projects.
Handbuild level 1 –(beginners/intermediate)
Location: 170 High St, Margate, Kent CT9.
Please call 0208 1665 134 on arrival for directions.